Joan Rivers: A Showbiz Affair

It is quite a sad day when a Comedienne of this magnitude passes. But surely the last thing Ms. Rivers would have wanted is for us to wollow.... far from it...taken from her book 'I hate everyone...starting with me'  -  here is her funeral request as proof!


'When I die (and yes, Melissa, that day will come; and yes, Melissa, everything’s in your name), I want my funeral to be a huge showbiz affair with lights, cameras, action. . . .I want craft services, I want paparazzi and I want publicists making a scene! I want it to be Hollywood all the way. I don’t want some rabbi rambling on; I want Meryl Streep crying, in five different accents. I don’t want a eulogy; I want Bobby Vinton to pick up my head and sing “Mr. Lonely.” I want to look gorgeous, better dead than I do alive. I want to be buried in a Valentino gown and I want Harry Winston to make me a toe tag. And I want a wind machine so that even in the casket my hair is blowing just like BeyoncĂ©’s.'




So let's celebrate this pioneering woman who pretty much paved the way for so many of today's comedians but very few (if any) have the same fierce wit that she came with, and when it came to fierce.. her style followed, always one for classic lines and silhouettes they were often jazzed up with a bold statement, whether it was some strong shoulders or an oversized fur stole....


Real name Joan Alexandra (nee' Molinsky) Rosenburg  she started her career in 1965 as a guest on the Tonight Show hosted by Johnny Carson who she later acknowledged as her mentor, though after Joan started a competing show called 'The Late Show' he never talked to her again.


In the 60's and 70's she was appearing on many talk shows, as well as a stint on Candid Camera.... and surprisingly writing material for Topo Gigio! ( Really!!)


She was always one for a big statement and her hair and dress were no exception. In the early 60's with big teased hair she threw on a fish-net dress and has a picture in the bath-tub!


During the 80's she concentrated on her stand up, howeves  in 1986 came the move that cost Rivers her longtime friendship with Carson, who had hired her as a show writer. The soon to launch Fox Television Network anounced that it was giving her a late night talk show 'The Late Night Show starring Joan Rivers' - making Rivers the first woman to have her own talk show!

She later went on to be a successful daytime host with 'The Joan Rivers Show' which also won her an Emmy for Outstanding daytime talk show host.


Apart from her stand-up we of course love her at Fashion Police.... It is sadly rumoured that the future of the show is un-certain following River's passing... Though taking the Sheriff's place could be a daunting if not down-right difficult task.


But here are some quotes to do with death from the Lady herself!

"I love funerals! To me a funeral is just a red carpet show for dead people. It's a chance for mourners from all walks of life to accessorize basic black, and to make a fashion statement that is bold enough to draw attention away from the bereaved but subtle enough so that no one knows that it's happening. And, it's a great way to have quiet fun."


"I hate people who try to make you feel better. Like the neighbor who says, 'Don't forget, the first part of 'funeral' is 'fun!' Or the minister who says, 'He's in a better place now.' I'm tempted to yell out, 'No he's not. He had a house in the Hamptons. What's wrong with you?""

She has entertained and revolutionised comedy for decades.

The E! Network has released this statement:

 “She was unapologetic and fiercely dedicated to entertaining all of us, and has left an indelible mark on the people that worked with her – and on her legions of fans.”





HCC x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Olaplex is your go-to range for healthy hair.

The Hottest footballers of World Cup 2018

12 best and worst dressed at Oscars 2017